Sunday, March 15, 2009

Why I Love Running

I ran nine miles yesterday. My thoughts right now as I try to write this are all a jumbled mess. I want to type out as quickly as I can a thousand different things that all have to do with running, but none of the thoughts are in order. Or would make sense to anyone but me.

There is something about running nine miles (or an hour and a half), that takes you from jumbled thoughts that scramble through our brains a million times per minute to ... nothing. It sounds silly, but I love when I hit that point in a long run in which the thoughts just shut off. I'm just me, just running, just putting one foot in front of the other. I'm not thinking about work, or people that annoy me, or the thousand things that need to get done, or money, or cleaning the house, or anything. I'm just running.

Plod, plod, plod, car, plod, plod, plod, pretty tree, plod, plod, plod, dog, etc. That's all there is. In our crazy busy lives when we're all working on ten different projects at once and we need tools to manage our to-do lists, it's nice to think about nothing for a while. It's like getting my mental inbox to 0. A clean slate to start from, when the thousand thoughts come flooding back.

2 comments:

  1. I really wish I could do that. I go to the gym a lot, and can cycle / row / cross train etc, but running just seems to kill me. 5 minutes of running and Im dead to the world.
    Any tips would be really really appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was me before September 2007 (well, not the cycling/rowing/cross training, but the running killing me part). I despised running! I was thinking about a post on how I got started this time and why it's different - guess I'll do that now! I'd be happy to chat anytime about running!

    ReplyDelete