Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Help me find new music!

So I’ve realized that since I’ve had an ipod, I rarely listen to the radio, which means I don’t really hear new music. I put my CDs on my ipod and I listen to them. I don't hear any new music. The only new music I buy is new music from the artists I already listen to. Occasionally, the iTunes store makes a recommendation that I might try out, but not usually.

Oddly, I don’t listen to music while I run, but I do listen to music at work. It does not have to be work appropriate. :)

So, what new music should I be listening to?

My music taste is all over the place. Really. On my ipod right now, in the order they appeared on shuffle…

No Doubt
The Police
U2
Cake
Marvin Gaye – seriously, is there anything funnier than listening to your ipod at work and hearing the first few bars of “Let’s Get It On”?
Tenacious D – always makes me laugh
Bruce Springsteen
Weezer
Bob Marley
Dave Matthews
Eagles
Kid Rock
Simon & Garfunkel
Stevie Wonder
Wham!
INXS
Sheryl Crow
Daughtry
Live

Like I said, all over the place. Given that, got any suggestions?

12 comments:

  1. Although not new, I noticed the boys from Genesis were, for some "unknown reason" not on your list. They are only the greatest band ever! LOL Perhaps they fall into a guilty pleasure but Genesis, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Mike & The Mechanics AND the guy who replaced Phil in the late 90's Ray Wilson. Ray has some solo stuff that's pretty good. Goodbye Baby Blue is a good track.

    As for some new stuff, Train, Pat Monahan (solo album of Train's lead singer), The Fray and Colin Hay (former lead singer of Men at Work) have been heavy on my iPod recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spleen
    Coldplay
    Simple Plan
    DJ Champion
    Pascale Picard
    Miles Davis
    Ray CHarles
    Smashing Pumpkins
    The Cranberries
    Nora Jones
    Green Day
    Metallica
    Pantera
    Linkin Park
    Johnny Cash
    Some classical

    So very various depending on the moment

    JYR

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tim - Well, I couldn't list EVERYTHING on my ipod. There is some Genesis, Peter Gabriel, and Mike & The Mechanics.

    @JYR - great list. I have some of those, and don't have others! I will have to check them out. I have Live doing Walk the Line, does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Grey was brought to my attention today - folksy, whimsical and powerful lyrics.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQTUCIU8nVQ

    Also, if you like good grooving electric guitar, you can't beat Greg Hoey with his Hawaii 5-0 and Linus and Lucy covers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spleen
    Simple Plan
    Pascale Picard
    DJ Champion

    These 4 groups are french speaking peoples who sings in english. For the first 3, a few of the members comes from my town :-)

    JYR

    ReplyDelete
  6. last.fm (website)

    Just plug in the name of an artist you like and it will play similar artists. I discovered Amy Macdonald that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @John - Perfect! Way better than the iTunes version. I will be spending some time there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitly the new Guns N' Roses, Chinese Democracy. And the best one ever: Somewhere over the Rainbow interpreted by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - just trust me, you will love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I've got Is! New Guns N Roses, huh? I'll have to check it out.

    Thanks everyone, this is great stuff! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. www.pandora.com is similar to last.fm in regards to finding similar artists.

    HTH,
    Tim E. Brown

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try Morrissey!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrissey

    Nick K

    ReplyDelete