Monday, March 16, 2009

Why I Love Running *This Time*

I think I've mentioned this before, but prior to September 2007, I HATED running. Really. I wouldn't have run unless a bear was chasing me. So, now I'm running half marathons. Lots of people ask me, HOW?

I think a HUGE part of it is starting slow. A few times in my life I've tried to take up running and hated it. I got stitches in my sides, couldn't run more than 1/2 mile without feeling like dying and just generally felt miserable.

This time I started with a program called the Couch to 5k. The program starts you out with just 60 seconds of jogging. Anyone can do that! Especially if you take it slow. I ran sooooo slowly. Seriously, I'm pretty sure little old ladies in walkers could have walked faster than I was running. I started off around 12-minute miles (or 7:30 kilometers, I think if I did that right). It seemed really slow, but that is what allowed me to complete the program.

The program works you up to running a full 5k in 9 weeks. I took 10 weeks, but who is counting? :) The program works by building up your confidence and your stamina. Knowing you can do it is almost (maybe even more) as big a part as physically being able to do it.

Also, I think a huge part of my success this time was stubbornness. Yes, I know that sounds strange, but I really wanted to do it. I didn't want to quit. I realized that a few minutes of discomfort wasn't really that big of a deal. I picked a 5k race to sign up for and there was NO WAY that I was going to miss it. There was also no way I was going to walk. See, I told you. Stubbornness.

After my first race, I was hooked. I also knew I had to sign up for more races, so I would stick it. I signed up for, what else? A 10k. After a couple of 10ks and several 5ks, I decided to sign up for a half marathon. The great thing about running 13.1 miles is that a 5k seems a lot smaller! Of course, I still have bad days. I still have runs where I just have to force myself out and tell myself how great I'll feel after. I still have spells where I don't run as often as I'd like. Races really keep me motivated.

Just like anything in life, I think you have to find what works for you. Some people like to run with music. Even though I love music, I personally can't stand to run with music. Some people like the convenience of the gym or a treadmill. While I would love to get out of the snow and cold of New Hampshire, I hate the treadmill. I would never run if that was my only choice. Some people like to run with a group, and that is what I did for my first half marathon. I also started the Couch to 5K program with a friend. I also have a GREAT running partner that I run half of my runs with. HOWEVER, I love running alone, too. It's my me-time, my "inbox back to 0" like I mentioned in my last post. You just have to find what works for you.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on that Kathy!!! Running is an awesome thing. I used to run all the time but fell out of it in recent years. My girlfriend, a marathoner and tri-athlete, has been encouraging me to get back into running and the "Couch to 5k" link above looks like a great way for me to do that.

    If you haven't seen this site, MapMyFitness.com is another really good site to check out various routes users put together for runs both close to home or if you are on the road.

    Good luck with the half... When is it? You'll keep us up to date, won't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes definitely! It's April 5th, the Great Bay Half Marathon. I have seen mapmyrun, is that the same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool and yes it is. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that couch to 5K is the way to go. I had tried running in the past and would only get frustrated and quit. I decided that I was just not a runner. Then, someone told me about couch to 5K and I followed it exactly, not wanting to let myself down. I did it and just passed the one year anniversary of running my first 5K. A couple of weeks ago, I ran my first half marathon.

    Good luck on your upcoming half. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, I agree also... starting slow and easy IS the key. Worked for me after many failed attempts at making a comeback to running after 8 years off...Frustrating and full of pain and misery... part of me was thinking I could just dive back into it like old times...but the body was saying NOOO... Even though it's hard, easing into it slowly was the eventual answer... Best of luck this Spring! Good to see more and more people coming onto the running scene and back from a long winter... If I can shake my hamstring/hip/back issues I'll probably be doing Eastern States and then Great Bay as workouts for Boston... Fun stuff!!

    ReplyDelete