Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Should I Call The UI Police?

So, while filling out an online application for a race (look, running and developing in one post!), I came across this field…

Photobucket

Seriously? The form had radio buttons for other fields, so clearly they are aware of the technique. They just chose not to use it, but THEN they have to include instructions (that no one will read), for the user to select only “a Maximum of 1”. Ugh. That isn’t even well written. Ignore the fact that it says “Mens” shirts, but that the shirts are Unisex. Oh, and there is an asterisk, as though there is a footnote, but there is no footnote. One presumes it references the poorly worded instructions in red.

The worst part is that this is a huge website, used by TONS of races for the purpose of registering racers. This isn’t some podunk little site that no one ever sees. And this wasn’t exactly their first race registration form.

I was very tempted to check them all off, just because I could.

[ETA: BTW, when I got to the race, they just asked me what size I wanted!]

6 comments:

  1. I'm trying to think of some reason why they might have NEEDED a checkbox for a field rather than use a radio button ? (but I can't!)

    How did the race go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is exactly one of the things Bruce and I warned against in our Worst Practices session at Lotusphere last year. Talk about confusing the user...really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quick! Everybody hide! It's the UI police! :) Just kidding, Chris. I KNEW you'd be annoyed by that!

    Richard, the race went well. Thanks. Think of a good reason yet? I can't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking and I cannot come up with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it possible to register more than one person at a time?

    Wait, even that would be horrible because what if each wanted the same size. No idea why someone would want it to be checkboxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can register more than one person, but not at the same time, you go through all the screens over again (and past the same bad field) to register multiple people. Scary, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete